Arsenal have confirmed that Arsene Wenger has signed a new two-year contract.
There had been speculation over whether Wenger, whose contract was due to expire this summer, would stay on at the Emirates Stadium.
His team failed to secure a top-four finish and many supporters have called for him to go.
But the Frenchman had always indicated that he was keen to extend his 21-year stay at the helm.
And the Gunners enjoyed an impressive end to the season, narrowly missing out on the Champions League and then beating Premier League champions Chelsea at Wembley to win the FA Cup.
Confirming news of Wenger’s contract in a statement issued by the club on Wednesday afternoon, majority owner Stan Kroenke said winning the title is the club’s target and that they believe the current manager is the best man to make it happen.
Kroenke said: “Our ambition is to win the Premier League and other major trophies in Europe.
“It’s what the fans, players, staff, manager and board expect and we won’t rest until that is achieved. Arsène is the best person to help us make that happen. He has a fantastic track record and has our full backing.”
Wenger said: “I love this club and I am looking forward to the future with optimism and excitement.
“We are looking at what we do well and how we can be stronger everywhere. This is a strong group of players and with some additions we can be even more successful.
“We’re committed to mounting a sustained league challenge and that will be our focus this summer and next season.
“I am grateful to have the support of the board and Stan in doing everything we can to win more trophies. It’s what we all want and I know it’s what our fans around the world demand.”