Sarri says Christensen ‘has to improve’ but is part of his long-term plans

Maurizio Sarri says Andreas Christensen “has to improve” but is part of Chelsea’s long-term plans.

Christensen, 22, has been overlooked for much of this season so far, with Antonio Rudiger and David Luiz installed as head coach Sarri’s first-choice centre-back pairing.

And Sarri has suggested that he does not regard the Dane as the finished article despite Christensen being a regular starter under ex-boss Antonio Conte last season.

“He is very young and I think he has to improve,” Sarri said at a press conference on Friday.

“He is a technical defender so I think he is suitable for my way of football and I think in the future he will be able to play very often.”

Sarri was dismissive of comments made by Christensen’s father, who suggested that the player could seek a move in January if he continues to be overlooked.

“The father? I am not interested,” said Sarri.

“In the first part of the season David and Antonio have played really very well, so it’s not easy to change.

“I think also that in our last six matches, Christensen has played in three.

“So I think for his father probably the Europa League is not important, but for us it is important.”




Skip to toolbar