Watford boss admits selection dilemma ahead of Tottenham clash

© Nigel French/PA Wire

Javi Gracia has welcomed the selection headache given to him by his squad players after a much-changed lineup won against Newcastle in the FA Cup.

Gracia made 11 changes for the trip to St James’ Park on Saturday and saw his players pick up a 2-0 win to book a spot in the fifth round of the cup.

He came in for criticism for the selection, but it has given him plenty to ponder ahead of the Premier League meeting with Tottenham on Wednesday as he considers how many of his first choice regulars to recall.

Andre Gray and Isaac Success were two players in particular who made a case for selection, netting once each to stake a claim to displace captain Troy Deeney.

“Believe me, it is not a problem,” Gracia told the club website. “I am delighted with this. I am very pleased with all my players, especially Andre and Isaac, who scored in the last game.

“This is very, very good for the team to have different options. I trust all of them and they are waiting for their moment to show their level.”

The Hornets remain without Abdoulaye Doucoure however, with the midfielder – who has been absent since the win at Crystal Palace – still not ready to return to training with the first team.

“We are in the same situation as last week,” said Gracia.

“(Sebastian) Prodl, Kiko (Femenia) and Doucoure are not training with the team at this moment. We are waiting for them to come back. We are trying to help Doucoure recover as soon as possible because he is an important player for us.

“He has a little problem in his knee, but he feels better day by day but in this moment not enough to train and play with the team.

“One week ago, I thought he will be ready quicker but it wasn’t possible. I’m sure in the next days he will be ready.”




Be the first to comment on "Watford boss admits selection dilemma ahead of Tottenham clash"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*