Conte hits back at pundits and Wenger over size of Chelsea's squad - London Football News

Conte hits back at pundits and Wenger over size of Chelsea’s squad

Embed from Getty Images

Antonio Conte says he is not bothered what pundits and other managers have to say about his comments about Chelsea’s small squad.

The Blues begin their title defence with a home match against Burnley on Saturday amid reports that Conte is unhappy with his side’s strength in depth and the club’s summer transfer activity.

Former England striker Alan Shearer has said that “something is brewing at Chelsea that isn’t nice”, while Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has passed comment on the number of players allowed to leave Stamford Bridge on loan.

Speaking at a news conference on Friday, Conte said: “I am not looking for sympathy from any coaches for this situation.

“The situation is clear. If the club decided to loan the players for development it is because the players are not ready to play for Chelsea.”

Embed from Getty Images

German defender Antonio Rudiger, Spain striker Alvaro Morata and French midfielder Timoue Bakayoko have all arrived, as has back-up goalkeeper Willy Caballero.

But with Diego Costa almost certain to leave and Nemanja Matic and Nathan Ake having been sold, as well as numerous players sent out on loan, Conte has previously expressed his concern at the lack of depth as they return to Champions League football.

Conte added: “I am the coach of this team my aim is to try to improve my players and team. My only task is to be focused on the pitch and work with my players. This must be my focus in this period.

“In the transfer market the club is trying to do their best. I don’t like to speak through the press. The club knows very well my opinion and are trying to do their best.”




We use cookies in order to give you the best possible experience. By staying on this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info | OK
Tag: